Room 221 has been filled with learning lots about rocks and minerals. We will wrap up our unit with an assessment tomorrow! Ask your third grade geologist:
1. What are the three different types of rock?
- sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic.
Click here to learn more.
2. How are igneous rocks formed?
-Igneous rocks are formed when lava or magma cool.
3. How are sedimentary rocks formed?
-Sedimentary rocks are formed when layers of sediment are "glued" together often under water.
4. How are metamorphic rocks formed?
-Metamorphic rocks are formed when heat and pressure are applied to other rocks below the Earth's crust.
5. What are rocks made up of?
-minerals (and some other things)
6. How do geologists identify specific minerals?
-Geologists perform field tests (streak test, hardness test, weight, acid test) to identify minerals. Click here to learn more.
7. In what ways are minerals useful?
-Many items in your home contain minerals. (cosmetics, furniture, vacuum cleaner, etc...) Click here to learn more.
Ask your child about rocks and minerals today!