1. There are three different types of rocks - sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic. Ask your third grader to show you hand motions we use to remember each.
2. Each type of rock was formed in a different way, and has unique characteristics. Ask your third grader to show you how each type of rock is formed. (igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic)
3. There are many different kinds of minerals.
4. Each type of mineral has unique characteristics. On Thursday and Friday we will be learning about scientific tests we can do to help us identify minerals.
5. Rocks and minerals are different. Rocks are formed of many different materials. Minerals are made of one thing - just the mineral. Minerals are often found in rocks. Ask your third grader how they know if a rock has more than one mineral.
Ask your child about rocks and minerals today!